Welcome to hp_summergen, a Harry Potter Gen Fic and Art Exchange!
The purpose of hp_summergen is to offer authors and artists the opportunity to create general fiction and/or art within the scope of the Harry Potter fandom. This exchange will give fans the chance to engage with canon before the release of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows on July 11, 2007.
"Gen" is short for general interest and is writing and artwork that delves into the canon, often plot-driven, but does not focus on romance or smut. While genfic and genart may - and often does - include romance, the fic and art is not concentrated around romance in the same way as "shipping" fiction and art. Genres may include but are not limited to: humour, angst, drama, darkfic, character study, & action/adventure.
The moderators are: alexajohnson and bewarethesmirk. Our contact info is in each of our userinfo, but the easiest way to reach us is by emailing hpsummergen [at] gmail [dot] com.
We are friendly and are here to help. Take advantage of it!
Because we know there are other exchanges going on, we have given what we think is a reasonable amount of time for you to sign-up and complete your work. We cannot stress enough how important it is to follow these dates!
March 20th: Sign-ups begin April 3rd: Sign-ups close April 8th: Assignments mailed June 3rd: All fic and art due June 18th: Posting begins Sometime around the end of June: Authors and artists revealed!
1) This exchange is for gen fic and art only. Romance is allowed, but it cannot be the central focus of your work. If you are not sure if you work qualifies as gen, don't hesitate to email us.
2) All fic should be at least 1,000 words, but may be as long as you wish. Having a beta reader is strongly encouraged. While we - sadly - can't torture you into having a beta, good spelling and grammar is expected. You should have a basic knowledge of Harry Potter canon. We will be reading fics before they are posted, and if we don't feel your fic meets these standards, we will send it back to you. If you've exhausted all your resources and still can't find a beta, let the mods know and we'll gladly help you out!
3) Because this is an anonymous exchange, all fic and art will be posted by the mods. If you have any questions about your assignment, don't contact your recipient. Direct the email to the mods, and then we'll answer your question - or contact the receipient if necessary. The point of this is for it to be a secret until the masterlist is revealed.
4) PLEASE observe the deadlines for your assignment! If you absolutely cannot finish, it's imperative that you let us know AS SOON AS POSSIBLE so we can find someone else who can. We understand how easy it is to forget/not have enough time, yet this is required for the exchange to run smoothly. If you don't give us your fic/art, you won't receive anythnig. The fics are due June 3.
5) All authors and artists will be revealed via a masterlist after everything is posted, and only then can you can post your own work to your LJ or other another location.
6) When submitting your fic, use the following format:
Title: Author: (for the moderators' reference only) Fic or Art: Rating: Characters: Warnings: (if applicable) Summary: Notes:
Please insert this header in the body of your email and if you have fic, in the attachment as well. Include your fic or art as an attachment, preferably as a .doc or .rtf file. Send this to hpsummergen at gmail dot com. Also include in your fic any HTML formatting and remember to turn off smart quotes (Tools >> AutoCorrect >> AutoFormat As You Type >> Uncheck "straight quotes with smart quotes").